At Canada Protection Plan, we respect your privacy.
We collect, use and disclose your personal information in order to ensure that we provide you with the right products and the right services. We value your trust. To earn that trust, we are committed to the following ten privacy principles:
- Accountability – We are responsible for the personal information under our control. We have designated individuals who are responsible for monitoring our ongoing compliance with these privacy principles.
- Identifying Purposes – The purposes for which personal information is collected will be identified by us, or through our or your authorized representatives.
- Consent – Your knowledge and consent are required for the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information except as permitted or required by law. Your consent may be expressed in writing, or it may be given verbally, electronically or through our or your authorized representative. Consent may also be implied in limited situations.
- Limiting Collection – We limit our collection of personal information to that which is necessary for the purposes identified, and only collect personal information by fair and lawful means.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention – We will not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected and will not retain personal information longer than necessary.
- Accuracy – We try to ensure and maintain the accuracy and completeness of the personal information we use and collect. However, we rely on you to disclose personal information to us and advise us of any changes.
- Safeguards – We protect personal information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- Openness – We will readily make available to you information about our privacy policies and practices.
- Individual Access – Upon written request, you will be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of your personal information, and you will be given access to that information subject to exceptions permitted by law. You may challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
- Inquiries and Concerns – You may contact our Chief Privacy Officer with any inquiries or concerns about our privacy policies and practices at:
Canada Protection Plan
250 Ferrand Drive, Suite 1100,
Toronto, ON M3C 3G8
Attention: email@example.comOr call: 1-877-477-1020 Ext. 229
The information we collect
Personal Information refers to any information about an identifiable individual, other than certain business contact information, such as name, age, address, gender, government identification numbers, financial information, health information and medical records.
We collect your personal information to help us understand your insurance needs, provide advice as to your eligibility for insurance coverage, process applications for insurance coverage, provide administrative services in connection with the insurance products we distribute, meet our legal and regulatory obligations and as may otherwise be permitted or required by applicable laws. We collect only the information we need for the purposes stated above.
We collect this information from the following sources:
- From you directly on applications and other forms submitted to us via mail, telephone, email or internet
- From individuals who you have authorized to answer questions or provide information to us
- In the case of medical or other health related information, from additional sources such as your doctor(s) or other healthcare providers or facilities and independent medical information reporting agencies
We collect, use and share your personal information only for the purposes we have disclosed related to the insurance products we offer, and only with your consent or as permitted or required by law. Your consent may be in writing, or it may be expressed verbally or electronically, or through your or our authorized representative(s) such as your financial services advisor. Your consent may also be implied or inferred from certain actions.
You may withhold or withdraw your consent for us to collect, use and disclose your personal information as long as there are no legal or contractual reasons preventing you from doing so. Depending on the circumstances however, withdrawal of your consent may impact our ability to provide you with the services you have requested.
Your personal information will only be provided or disclosed to, or accessible by:
- Our employees, agents and representatives who need the information to perform their duties,
- Our affiliates to resolve any concerns and assist in any investigations required to provide services to you,
- Service providers, that may, for example, provide administrative support, information technology assistance, claims adjudication or reinsurance, who require the information in the performance of their duties for us,
- The insurance company that underwrites the insurance coverage for which you have applied, or which has issued your insurance policy
- Any person or organization to whom you gave consent,
- Anyone who is otherwise authorized by law.
When your personal information is provided to service providers, we will require them to protect the information in a manner that is consistent with our privacy policies and practices.
Use of service providers outside Canada
Your personal information may be processed and stored in the United States, and may be accessible to the United States government, courts or law enforcement or regulatory agencies through the laws of the United States.
For information about our policies and practices with respect to service providers outside Canada, or to access written information about such policies and practices, please contact our Chief Privacy Officer using the contact information set out above.
Optional Marketing Purposes
We may collect, use and disclose your personal information to offer you products or services that may be of interest to you, or so that independent brokers may contact you with respect to products or services that may be of interest to you. You are not required to consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information for these optional marketing purposes in order to do business with us. If you do not want your personal information used for these optional marketing purposes, please notify our Chief Privacy Officer using the contact information set out above.
Protection of Your Personal Information
We appreciate the trust you place in us and we are committed to protecting your personal information from unnecessary or unauthorized access or use. We protect your personal information in many ways, including maintaining controlled access to paper and electronic documents and files, and using appropriate technology safeguards such as passwords, firewalls and encryption. We restrict access to your personal information to those of our employees, agents and representatives who need such information to provide you with the services for which the information was requested.
Accessing and Correcting Personal Information
We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that any personal information we collect and keep is accurate, complete and as up-to-date as required for the identified purposes. To do so, we will rely to a large extent on you to provide us with accurate information and to inform us of changes, such as changes to your contact information.
You have the right to access and verify the personal information we have for you in our files, and to ask us to correct any factually incorrect information. There may be a charge if you require copies of records. We will advise you of the cost, if any, before copying the records.
We may not be able to provide you with access to your personal information if the information cannot be separated from the personal information of others or is protected by legal privilege. If we cannot provide you with access to your personal information we will advise you as to the reasons why access is denied unless we are prohibited by law from doing so.
WEBSITE PRIVACY INFORMATION
Your emails to us are not encrypted. As a result, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk. You should not send confidential information to us via email.
This website also uses web beacons for many of the same purposes as cookies. Web beacons collect non-personally identifiable information to let us know how our website is being used. We use this information to improve user experience on this website.
When you send an e-mail to us or when you ask for a response by e-mail, we learn your exact e-mail address and any information you have included in the e-mail. Your e-mail address will be used to acknowledge your comments and/or reply to your questions and your communication and our reply will be stored in case we correspond further. We will not sell your e-mail address to anyone. Email over the Internet is generally unencrypted. We recommend that you use caution in sending us email messages that contain confidential information.